Euraxess Poland

Visa formalities PDF Print
Article Index
Visa formalities
Residence permit
Registration of stay
All Pages

Entry conditions

Information for European Economic Area citizens

European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland
  1. In order to cross the border of the RP, a citizen of the EU needs a valid travel document or other document certifying his/her identity and citizenship.
  2. If you are a citizen of one of the Member States of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you may stay in Poland for the first three months on the basis of your travel document (ID or passport).
  3. Those who stay longer than 3 months require a residence permit.
  4. The procedure of granting a residence permit results in granting an EU citizen the EU citizen's residence card.

The above-mentioned documents are issued by the Voivode Office (Urzad Wojewodzki) of the voivodship where you intend to reside.

Information for non-EEA citizens

Citizens of other than the above-mentioned countries
In order to enter Poland and work in Poland legally, you need to have a visa issued for the purpose of doing scientific research and a valid travel document (passport). The scientific visa is issued with number 13 on it. Visas are issued by Polish embassies or consulates located in your home country (to check their location, see website of Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
Generally, there are two types of visas relevant for foreign researchers:
1) type C Schengen visa (issued by a country of the Schengen zone) - is issued for max 3 months within a 6-month period for a stay in Poland;
2) type D national visa - entitles you to stay in Poland legally for a period of usually up to 1 year; also having this type of visa, you can travel to other Schengen countries for max 3 months within a 6-month period.
Foreign researchers planning to come to Poland usually apply for the national type D visa which is issued as the employment visa. The procedure of issuing a visa lasts a few days, depending on the consular unit. Visa fees vary from country to country.
The procedure of applying for the visa varies depending on whether a researcher is coming to Poland to work in a PUBLIC or NON-PUBLIC institution.
1. In the first case in order to receive the employment visa, you only need to present a document (letter) from the future employer which confirms that you will be working for this particular institution.
2. In the second case, in order to apply for the employment visa, you will need a work permit. It is your employer in Poland who applies for the work permit for you and pays for it (the procedure is described in Polish in the "For institutions" section). The whole procedure lasts up to 1.5 month. Having received the work permit, the employer needs to send it to the researcher.
If you plan to come to Poland with your family, you need to include their details in the visa application form; plus you need to enclose documents certifying family relationships.
You can stay in Poland legally until your visa expires.

What to do if I want to stay in Poland after my visa expires?

1. LEGALISE YOUR STAY: if you plan to stay in Poland for a longer period, you should legalise your stay by applying for a residence permit.
2. VISA EXTENSION: only in exceptional cases you can apply for visa prolongation at the Voivod Office (Urząd Wojewódzki) in the voivodship (województwo) you are living in. You can apply at latest on the last day before your visa expires. The national visa (type D) can only be prolonged if:
- it is justified by the professional or personal interest of the foreigner or by humane reasons,
- circumstances of the visa prolongation were beyond the foreigners control and could not be foreseen when the visa was issued,
- circumstances of the case do not indicate that the objective of the stay would be different than the declared one.
The national visa can be prolonged by 1 year.
The Schengen visa (type C) can also be prolonged if the foreigner proves his/her important personal reasons for prolonging the stay in Poland.
The Schengen visa is prolonged in cases when due to humanitarian reasons or force majeure the foreigner is not able to leave Poland before the visa expires. 
The Schengen visa's validity period can be extended by 3 months.

Read more about visa extension

Last Updated on Monday, 13 July 2015 14:32