Work permit

Working in Europe | Work permit | Poland

AGH University of Science and Technology, author: KSAF AGH

Citizens of the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland

The European citizens as well as their family members do not need a work permit to work in Poland. They can enter Poland and start working on the basis of an id document or passport.

See also: Entry conditions

Citizens of non-European countries

Since this website is addressed to foreign scientists coming to Poland, first it should be underlined that employment on scientific positions (e.g. assistant, adjunct, professor etc.) at public research institutions (universities, including private ones, Polish Academy of Sciences and research institutes) does not require a work permit. This aims at facilitating scientists' access to the Polish and European job market.

In addition, the Polish law defines other cases that can be related to foreign scientists when the work permit is not required:

Work permit is not required in case of foreigners who:

  • are employed at scientific/research positions (e.g. assistant, adjunct, professor etc.) at Polish public research institutions: universities, also including private universities, research institutes and institutes of the Polish Academy of Sciences,
  • are full-time students or full-time doctoral candidates in Poland,
  • have a Polish national visa for the purpose of conducting scientific research (number 13),
  • have a temporary residence permit for the purpose of conducting scientific research or a temporary residence permit for the purpose of highly qualified empoyment (EU Blue Card),
  • are family members of foreigners who have a temporary residence permit for the purpose of conducting scientific research or a temporary residence permit for the purpose of highly qualified employment,
  • have a residence permit of another European country with a note "researcher" who come to Poland to conduct a part of the scientific research based on the short-term mobility rule (for up to 6 months),
  • are family members of the citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland,
  • have graduated from Polish secondary schools and universities (only full-time courses),
  • run a training course, participate in professional training, fulfil an advisory or supervisory function or other function requiring special qualifications and skills within European Union programmes or other international aid programmes, also based on loans taken by the government of Poland,
  • conduct occasional lectures or presentations of a particular scientific or artistic value (up to 30 days in a calendar year),
  • have permanent residence permit in Poland,
  • have residence permit as a European Union long-term residents in Poland,
  • have temporary residence permit in order to join family,
  • are citizens of Armenia, Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine and Georgia: citizens of these countries can work in Poland without the work permit up to 6 months within subsequent 12 months. In order to employ a foreigner, the Polish employer has to register in a labour office (urząd pracy) a special declaration of intending to hire him/her. Information for Polish employers is available in Polish here.

In other than the above-mentioned cases, including research employees working at private institutions (companies, SMEs, etc.) in Poland, the work permit is required.

The above list includes selected cases that are most relevant to performing scientific research or related activities. 

The list of other cases when work permit is not required is provided by the Office for Foreigners.