ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of High Pressure Physics of the Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › Solid state physics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE18/11/2019 12:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONPoland › Warszawa
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/12/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEFP7
The PhD work will be carried out within the “Tunnel junction and its applications for GaN based optoelectronics” project funded by TEAM-TECH programme of the Foundation for Polish Science.
New concept of p-n tunnel junctions and their application in novel optoelectronic GaN-based devices will be investigated. Tunnel junctions may be applied to multicolor LEDs, vertical laser diodes, high power laser diode arrays, efficient solar cells or vertical n-p-n transistors. These devices will be fabricated using plasma assisted molecular beam epitaxy.
The project will involve collaboration between the Institute of High Pressure Physics Polis Academy of Sciences, Faculty of Physics Warsaw University, Faculty of Physics Wrocław University of Technology, Technical Universities of Madrid and Montpellier and TopGaN company, that develops commercial nitride laser diode solutions.
The innovative concept proposed in the project is based on the unique construction of the p-n tunnel junction that provides high tunneling efficiency through the junction minimizing its resistivity. The concept makes use of very high electric fields present in wurtzite crystal structure that modify the nitride tunnel junctions properties.
We will aim at fabrication of micro LEDs and arrays of micro-LEDs as efficient pumps for single photon emitters from 2D materials (hBN, MoS2).
Scientific results obtained in the Project will be commercialized in TopGaN company that will support the scientists in laser diodes and LEDs processing.
PhD position is offered for 25 months from 01.12.2019 till 31.12.2020
The responsibilities of the PhD student will involve:
1. Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE)of laser diode structures with tunnel junction
2. Optical and electrical characterization of LEDs: electroluminescence, L-I-V measurements , IQE
3. Theoretical calculations on the carrier injection to the active region, tunnel junction optimization for decreased series resistance at low temperatures
Scientific experience and work in an international team in the Institute of long gallium nitride GaN-related research. Collaboration with University in Montpellier in France, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid in Spain, University of Waterloo in Canada, Paul-Drude Institut in Berlin. Possibilities to attend conferences
The application should include the following documents:
1. Application letter
3. Essay describing scientific interests and achievements of the candidate, including the information about candidate contributions to scientific projects if applicable. Maximum length 3500 characters.
4. Copy (scan) of the university diploma.
5. Document confirming the PhD status.
Application deadline is November 18, 2019, 12:00. Recruitment talks are planned on November 24 and 25, 2019
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
1. MSc or MA degree in Physics or Engineering sciences or similar
2. PhD status (enrolled on PhD studies)
3. Scientific publications will be an asset
4. Good understanding of solid state physics and quantum mechanics.
5. Knowledge on the properties of semiconductors of wurzite structure (with electric fields) and knowledge of their characterization methods
6. Experience in molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) and/or processing will be an asset
7. Very good command of English (oral and written)
8. Motivation and passion for experimental work
EURAXESS offer ID: 453948
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.