ORGANISATION/COMPANYNicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Center
RESEARCH FIELDGeosciences › OtherOtherPhysics › Computational physicsTechnology › Information technologyTechnology › Quantum technology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/01/2020 22:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
Applications are invited for two postdoctoral positions in the field of computer science at AstroCeNT, a new international Center of Excellence in Particle Astrophysics in Warsaw, Poland (see below for more information).
Successful applicants will be expected to join the “Scientific Computing & Information Technology Group”, and to engage in research on development of quantum and classical machine learning methods in variety of topics such as: quantum-classical energy based models, quantum-classical neural networks, and large scale quantum computation. The scope of applications covers data analysis obtained from Earth observations imagery, direct dark matter detection experiments and gravitational waves measurements. The position will be based at AstroCeNT in Warsaw, Poland. We are seeking applicants that received their Ph.D. in computer science (quantum computation, machine learning, signal processing), applied mathematics or physics (quantum information and computation, condensed matter theory, statistical physics) within the past 5 years. In particular, we look for applicants with experience in data analysis, numerical programming and scientific computation. The position is available immediately. The initial term is for two years with an option of renewal if mutually agreed.
Complete applications received before January 15, 2020, will receive full consideration; however, applications received after that date will be also considered until the positions are filled.
AtroCeNT (https://astrocent.camk.edu.pl) — Particle Astrophysics Science and Technology Centre — was established on 1 July 2018 following an award of nearly 38 million PLN (nearly 9M Euro, over 10M USD) within the framework of the International Research Agendas Programme of Foundation of Polish Science, see:
At AtroCeNT, research is focused primarily on the areas of the detection of gravitational waves and dark matter using advanced technological instruments, whose development will be among the prime areas of activity of the Center. However, it is planned to engage in other areas of theoretical and experimental research in particle astrophysics, beyond gravitational waves and dark matter.
AtroCeNT has developed close collaborative links with several institutions in Europe and outside, in particular with our strategic partners APC (Astroparticle and Cosmology Laboratory) in Paris and the McDonald Institute in Canada. More collaborations are being established.
Currently AtroCeNT comprises six international research groups of physicists and engineers:
- SiPM Systems for Astroparticle Physics and Medical Physics (leader: Dr Marcin Kuźniak);
- Seismic Sensors (leader: Professor Tomasz Bulik);
- Electronics and Data Acquisition and Processing (leader: Dr Mariusz Suchenek);
- Ultrapure SiPMs and Associated Readout Electronics (leader: Dr Masayuki Wada);
- Scientific Computing & Information Technology (leader: Professor Piotr Gawron);
- Particle Astrophysics (leader: Professor Leszek Roszkowski).
Expansion to other activities in the field will be considered in the future. In about two years the Center is expected to reach the size of about 30 researchers, including group leaders, their teams, PhD students and visitors working in an international, English-speaking environment. The Center is led by Professor Leszek Roszkowski.
AtroCeNT is formally a new administrative division of Nicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Center of the Polish Academy of Sciences (http://www.camk.edu.pl) – an internationally leading institute in astronomy and astrophysics.
AtroCeNT is conveniently located in the city center, with easy access from rail stations and airports. The center occupies a suite of spacious and modern labs and offices on the top floor of a modern building (https://www.cziitt.pw.edu.pl/?lang=en) of Warsaw University of Technology (https://www.pw.edu.pl/engpw) in order to foster communication and cooperation with local engineers and physicists, and to enhance scientific and academic environment. The site is also well connected with Physics Department of Warsaw University and the main site of the Nicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Center and other research institutes in Warsaw.
Duration of contract: 24 months (with a possibility to extend to 36 months)
Remuneration: Gross monthly salary of 12 000 PLN, including social and health insurance and tax.
1. Stimulating, international, English speaking research environment in a new center of excellence;
2. Possibility to develop frontline research in gravitational wave research, in collaboration with the other teams of Astrocent and with our strategic partner APC;
3. Funding for research, travel and basic equipment.
4. Scientific, organizational and technical support, including standard research facilities.
1. curriculum vitae,
2. statement of research interests,
3. publication list,
4. photocopy of PhD diploma,
5. copy of PhD thesis (if not confidential),
6. at least two, preferably three, letters of reference,
7. scan of signed GDPD form (available from https://www.camk.edu.pl/en/about/ochrona-danych-osobowych/#rodocent).
All the material should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
1. Ability to work and collaborate in research teams in a competitive environment.
2. Strong track record of past research.
3. Potential to attract grant funding.
Key responsibilities include:
1. To be open to co-operation with the other research teams at Astrocent.
2. To be prepared to apply for grants.
EURAXESS offer ID: 462222
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.