ORGANISATION/COMPANYInternational Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › BiologyChemistry › Biochemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/02/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/03/2020
The Laboratory of Protein Structure at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, led by Profesor Marcin Nowotny is seeking PhD students to join the group.
The funding of the scholarships are provided by grants entitled:
“Mitochondrial RNA decay and surveillance - comprehensive interdisciplinary studies” carried out as the SYMFONIA (UMO – 2014/12/W/NZ1/00463) grant of the Polish National Science Centre;
“Mechanism of RNA ligation in maturation of transfer RNAs“carried out as OPUS (UMO-2019/33/B/NZ1/02839) grant of the Polish National Science Centre;
- Full-time PhD scholarship
- Total gross scholarship up to a maxiumum 5000 PLN/month (depending on grant and expirence)
- A position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
- Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme
- Full technical, administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
- Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
- Administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
The fellowship will be awarded in an open competition, according to the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/institute/hr-excellence
How to apply:
- Apply now (before the deadline of February 15th, 2020) to email@example.com
- In the subject include your first and last name.
- Application must be submitted in English and should contain: 1) a CV, 2) a cover letter including a short description of your key achievements and explicit responses to the following questions: What are your scientific interests and how do they relate to requirements of the position offered? What are your key strengths? What do you know about our laboratory and why do you want to work with us?, 3) contacts to at least two potential referees, including your MSc (or PhD) supervisor. At this stage, please do not attach copies of diplomas, etc.
- Please include the following statement in application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Instituteof Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available under the link https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause
- Best candidate(s) may be given additional questions and tasks as a part of the recruitment process.
- The competition may be extended or repeated until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirementsis found.
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalentChemistry: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
As a PhD student you will be involved in structural studies of proteins involved in RNA processing. The work will include purification, characterization, crystallography and cryo-EM studies of proteins and their complexes with RNA. You will also perform biochemical in vitro expriments to gain further insights into the mechanism of action fo the proteins of interest.
- MSc degree (or equivalent) in biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular biology, chemistry or related area (defended before the start of the work on the project)
- Eligibility for PhD studies in Poland
- Fulfill the formal criteria for the competition https://www.ncn.gov.pl/sites/default/files/pliki/uchwaly-rady/2019/uchwala25_2019-zal1.pdf (OPUS NCN) https://www.ncn.gov.pl/userfiles/file/konkursy_ogloszone_2013-12-16/symfonia-zal4.pdf (SYMFONIA NCN)
- A proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, a collaborative attitude
- Experience in working in laboratories abroad is highly desired
- Strong background in protein biochemistry – protein expression in prokaryotic and eukaryotic systems protein purification, biochemical tests of enzymatic activity, preferably for nucleic acid enzymes
- Experience in structural biology methods (protein crystallography and/or cryo-EM) will be preferred
- Scientific excellence confirmed by publications in international journals and attendance to international scientific conferences
- Very good written and oral communication in English
- Enjoy working in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 484535
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.