ORGANIZACJA/FIRMAGerman Cancer Research Center in the Helmholtz Association (DKFZ)
DZIEDZINA BADAŃComputer scienceEngineeringMathematicsPhysics
PROFIL NAUKOWCAFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
TERMIN SKŁADANIA DOKUMENTÓW19/08/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOKALIZACJAGermany › Heidelberg
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The Division of *Computational Genomics and System Genetics* is seeking a
*Software Developer / System Architect*
A position as software developer / system architect for the recently funded infrastructure initiative German Human Genome Phenome Archive (GHGA, http://www.ghga.de) is available at the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ).
Briefly, GHGA has been funded as one of currently 9 national infrastructure consortia which will be operated within the framework of the national research data infrastructure (NFDI, https://www.nfdi.de/). The goal of GHGA is to establish a national infrastructure for the archival, analysis and the dissemination of human omics data. GHGA is implemented as a federated infrastructure, which currently connects six data centers across Germany to the federated network of the European Genome Phenome Archive (EGA, https://www.ebi.ac.uk/ega). To enable long-term scalability and respect national data security regulations, the EGA is undergoing a transition to a federated model, with GHGA operating as an EGA node for Germany. GHGA has an ambitious long-term concept with an initial focus on providing technological infrastructure and services for rare disease genetics and oncology. With its 16 partners the GHGA network spans all major omics centers in Germany. At DKFZ, GHGA brings together research and service activities across key teams that develop and apply genomics technologies:
- Ivo Buchhalter (http://www.dkfz.de/en/forschung/zentrale_einrichtungen/cf-omics): data stewardship & first-level user support, Data hub implementation & operation
- Benedikt Brors: (http://www.dkfz.de/en/applied-bioinformatics): Training & user experience, Community data curation
- Stefan Fröhling (http://www.dkfz.de/en/translationale-medizinische-onkologie): Translation & cancer community
- Daniel Hübschmann (http://www.hi-stem.de/staff/74-daniel-huebschmann): Front end development & maintenance
- Martin Lablans (http://www.dkfz.de/en/verbis): FAIR Data & Interoperability
- Peter Lichter (http://www.dkfz.de/en/genetics): Translation & cancer community
- Oliver Stegle (http://www.dkfz.de/en/bioinformatik-genomik-systemgenetik): GHGA consortium spokesperson & back end development
We are looking for a software developer and / or system architect at the DKFZ to implement, operate and further develop the front- and backend software of GHGA. The successful candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary research, development and data management team developing and applying a diverse range of state-of-the-art methodology to implement new software for GHGA as well as to implement and improve the software and services of the federated EGA. This will be done in close cooperation with the GHGA partners and the EGA host institutions as well as additional federated EGA instances such as the Scandinavian countries. We are looking for a range of profiles, including cloud and data security architects, (web) software engineers, requirements engineers, UI experts and workflow developers. Both experienced developers as well as starters are welcome.
*Your responsibilities (will be distributed in a small team):*
- Software development, adaptation and improvement of EGA features for GHGA
- Implementation of a data portal (front end and back end) for GHGA data
- Registration of DKFZ sequencing data in the new EGA node
- Collaboration with local and international developers
- Infrastructure development
The successful applicant will hold a master's degree or equivalent qualification in computer science, statistics, mathematics, physics, and/or engineering, or a degree in biological science with demonstrated experience in computational biology/bioinformatics/software development.
Previous experience in developing and deploying complex software is expected. Expertise in informatics, (agile) software development, system architecture, and cloud computing is beneficial, as is communicating results and ideas to colleagues and (inter)national collaboration partners.
Proficiency with UNIX based systems and relevant programming languages such as Java, Python or R are required.
The ideal applicant should have demonstrated the ability to work independently and creatively. The candidate should have excellent communications skills and be able to articulate clearly the technical needs, set clear goals and work within an interdisciplinary setting, communicating with other partners.
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
- The position is limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
The position can in principle be part-time.
For further information please contact
Eva Sabine Blum, phone +49 6221 42-3601.
The German Cancer Research Center is committed to increase the percentage of female scientists and encourages female applicants to apply. Among candidates of equal aptitude and qualifications, a person with disabilities will be given preference.
To apply for a position please use our online application portal (<a href="https://jobs.dkfz.de/en/p/raven51/jobs/42561/form">www.dkfz.de</a>).
We ask for your understanding that we cannot return application documents that are sent to us by post (Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Personalabteilung, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg) and that we do not accept applications submitted via email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Numer oferty: 541813
Numer oferty pracy: 727916
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.