Information for non-EU citizens

Living in Europe, Working in Europe | Entry conditions/visas | Poland

Non-EU citizens: citizens of countries other than European Union members, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

Each non-EU foreigner entering Poland has to be able to justify the purpose and conditions of the planned stay in Poland and has to provide the following documents in case of the border control:


Foreigners can enter Poland based on one of the following:

If you have a visa (national or Schengen) with the right to work or a residence permit (with access to labour market) issued by another Schengen country* and you do not need a work permit, you can come to Poland for the purpose of work (scientific research, delegation, conference, teaching, etc.) for up to 90 days counted within each 180-day period. The 90 days can be spent in Poland at one time or as several visits. You can use this special calculator for counting the days.

The fact whether you are entitled to work on the basis of the visa or residence permit depends on the purpose for which the document has been issued, for example you cannot work on a tourist visa or visa for the purpose of visitting family/friends. 

More information


*Schengen area include: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Spain, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Sweden, Italy, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, as well as Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland (the last 4 countries are Schengen countries not belonging to the European Union).


You can stay in Poland within the periods permitted by the abovementioned documents. If you plan to stay in Poland longer, you need to legalise your stay by obtaining a residence permit (residence card).


Another possibility to enter Poland - intra-EU mobility

Foreign scientists who hold a residence permit or a long-term visa (with annotation "researcher") issued by one European Union country can go to other EU countries, including Poland, for the purpose of conducting part of their scientific research for the period of up to 180 days in any period of 360 days. This rule is called short-term mobility of researchers and applies also to family members of the scientists.

One of the conditions that have to be met before entering Poland is informing the Polish Office for Foreigners about the planned visit in Poland. The written notification (in Polish) should be sent to the Office at least 30 days before entering Poland by the Polish research institution that will host the researcher.

More information about short-term mobility of researchers

More information about short-term mobility of family members

A similar rule applies to the intra-EU mobility of students - see more information.


See also: Obligatory registration in municipality