Family & pregnancy

Living in Europe | Day care, schooling & family related issues | Poland

Obstetrics, Medical University of Bialystok


Pregnant foreigners residing on the territory of Poland are entitled to certain rights and forms of care. The exact type of assistance depends on their legal status and the agreement with the employer; though some services are payable for all patients (foreign as well as Polish ones). Therefore, ask the appropriate hospital unit to find out about the cost of the service.

  • Expectant mothers who hold either a long-term EU-residence or a permanent residence permit have the right to receive all services free of charge concerning prenatal care in public hospitals.
  • Those who are granted a temporary residence permit or possess only a visa, have to be insured in order to get free access to the mentioned services.


Transferring unemployment benefits (European Economic Area + Switzerland)

Unemployment benefit is one of the social assistance benefits which enables to receive financial support while searching for a job. Many people think that emigration within the EU causes the loss of the right to the benefit, though, there is still the possibility of receiving it after meeting certain conditions.


Due to the European coordination of social security schemes, unemployment benefits may be transferred to a different country; it means that you have the possibility of keeping the right to the benefit from the country where you have been registered as an unemployed jobseeker for at least 4 weeks after becoming unemployed. The unemployed is entitled to the benefit for the period of 3 months, however, it may be extended up to a maximum of 6 months. Since there are some exceptions, for more information, go to the regulation on the coordination of social security systems.


Family benefits (świadczenia rodzinne) apply to the following foreigners:

  • EU and EEA citizens,
  • if it results from bilateral agreements concerning social security,
  • who stay on the territory of Poland on the basis of a permanent residence permit, long-term EU-resident permit, or temporary residence permit (the latter under some additional conditions),
  • have the residence card stating “access to the labour market”, excluding third-country nationals who received the permit for work in an EU member state for a period not exceeding 6 months, as well as those who arrived in Poland in order to undertake studies or those who have the right to work on the basis of their visas.

Family benefits are granted to foreigners who stay on the territory of Poland during the period in which they receive the benefits, unless bilateral regulations or regulations concerning the coordination of social security schemes provide otherwise.


The benefits include two main forms of assistance:

  • becikowe, which is an allowance of 1000 PLN for the birth of a child,
  • ‘Family 500+’ programme, a monthly allowance that is granted to all children under 18 years of age, regardless of their family's income.



Family tax relief is the most popular and beneficial tool of tax deduction. In principle, it is granted to those who raise minor children (up to 18 years old); these are parents and foster parents, as well as legal guardians, but only if the child has lived with them during the tax year. Raising a child above 18 years old does not reclaim the right to the relief; however, in this case, some additional conditions have to be met. The right to the relief belongs to those who tax their income using the Polish tax scale.


If the annual income does not exceed the amount of 112,000 PLN, the yearly relief is:

  • 1112,04 PLN in case of bringing up 1 child,
  • 1112,04 PLN for each child when bringing up 2 of them,
  • in case of bringing up 3 children, the amount of the deduction concerning the first and the second child is 1112,04 PLN for each of them, while the deduction applying to the third child amounts to 2000,04 PLN.


The relief is not obligatory, but is, of course, very beneficial.