ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Twente (UT)
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/09/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Enschede
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
As the current state-of-the-art hydraulic marine models are becoming increasingly complex we ask for a numerical modeler who knows the state-of-the-art engineering models as Delft3D, SWAN and XBeach and who is also a specialist in numerical schemes and CFD models to model tides, waves, sediment transport and morphodynamics. The Assistant professor will provide the tools to carry out numerical experiments in designing and testing Nature-Based Solutions. Moreover, this Assistant professor will work on more applied and/or detailed modelling, next to idealised modelling, bridging the gap towards specific solutions as e.g. wind farms, pipelines and sand mining. For a balanced composition of our team, we have a preference for a person having a civil engineering background.
Teaching: The new assistant professor will take her part in the teaching tasks of our group. We think of a combination of several courses, e.g. BSc course in Fluid Dynamics, parts of the MSc courses in Long waves, Short waves, Building with Nature and/or a MSc Python course. She will also supervise graduation projects at BSc and MSc level. The total teaching load will be about 40%. If the candidate is not yet formally qualified for teaching at universities, this qualification needs to be obtained within 2 years, for which a training program is offered (University Teaching Qualification, UTQ).
Research: We are looking for an independent researcher who is able to identify the academic questions in practical applications related to marine hydraulics and vice versa: to translate academic research results into engineering practice. She is able to attract (external) research funding (scientific research grants and funding from third parties) for PDEng, PhD and Postdoc positions. Also, she acts as a daily supervisor of these researchers. Next, she has a strong track record in publishing papers in international peer-reviewed journals and has the potential to coach junior researchers in doing so.
General: The candidate has a successful track record in numerical modelling of marine hydraulics, state-of-the art knowledge of hydraulic programs (e.g. Delft3D, SWAN, XBeach, Comsol, OpenFoam or similar) as well as knowledge on numerical schemes and surrogate models. We look for a person who is enthusiastic about working in a team of academics, and who feels committed to teaching (in the BSc and MSc programmes in Civil Engineering and Management) and to supervising junior researchers. The candidate is capable and willing to maintain good (national and international) contacts with consultants, knowledge institutes and the government.
You will be appointed for two years, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
We offer you:
- An international work environment, with colleagues from many different countries from all over the world.
- Excellent research facilities.
- A gross salary between € 3.255,00 to € 5.656,00 per month, depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Assistant Professor)
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- A minimum of 29 holidays in case of fulltime employment.
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- A family friendly institution, offering support for dual hiring.
Web site for additional job details
- MSc and PhD in coastal hydraulic modelling from a background in Civil Engineering, Environmental Fluid Dynamics, Applied Mathematics or related discipline.
- Strong publication record in numerical modelling of coastal hydraulics.
- Proven capability in attracting research funding.
- Good teaching skills, willingness to take the University Teaching Qualification.
- Good coaching skills (BSc, MSc and PhD students)
- Team player.
- Good communication skills (in English and preferably also in Dutch).
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
For questions you can contact Prof dr Suzanne J.M.H. Hulscher, chairholder of Water Engineering & Management, Marine and Fluvial Systems, tel: +31 (0)53-4894256 or by email email@example.com.
Please upload your application via the ‘Apply now’ button before August 31th 2019. Your application consists of a motivation letter, CV including teaching experience, full publication list and two references.
For a balanced gender composition of our group we specific invite female candidates to apply.
EURAXESS offer ID: 412733
Posting organisation offer ID: 55113
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.