Entry conditions of EU citizens

Living in Europe, Working in Europe | Entry conditions/visas | Poland

European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and the UK (till end of 2020)

In order to cross the Polish border, citizens of the above-mentioned countries only need a valid identification card (ID) or passport. They can stay and work in Poland for the first three months only on the basis of the id card or passport.

Those who plan to stay longer than 3 months are obliged to register their stay in the Voivodeship Office (Urząd Wojewódzki) of the region (voivodship) where they intend to reside at latest on the next day following the 3 months.

The registration procedure is easy and free-of-charge. You need to submit the following documents:

  • an application form,
  • ID or passport,
  • in case of employment - employment contract,
  • in case of higher education, including PhD education: a confirmation from the higher education institution, health insurance confirmation, and proof of having sufficient financial resources for the stay (also for acompanying family members) by presenting a bank statement or a credit card. The minimum monthly amounts are PLN 701 for persons coming alone, or PLN 528 for each family member.

The document confirming the registration is a written statement valid for an indefinite period.


Family members (from third countries)

Family members who are non-EU citizens in order to enter Poland need a valid travel document (passport) and a visa (except for visa-free movement rule) or a residence card issued by other EU country. If they want to stay longer than 3 months in Poland, they have to apply for a residence permit (a plastic card) at latest on the next day following the 3 months.

The procedure applies only to the following family members: spouses of the European citizens, their or their spouse's children of up to 21 years of age being financially dependent, and their or spouse's parents being financially dependent.

The residence permit is also issued by the Voivodeship Office competent for the place of residence and the procedure is also free-of-charge.

The following documents are required:

  • an application form,
  • the registration confirmation of the family member - EU citizen who provides for the family,
  • travel document (passport),
  • 5 photographs
  • docucments confirming family ties: marriage certificates, children's birth certificates and other documents confirming that they are financially dependent.

As all the documents have to be submitted in Polish, documents issued in foreign languages have to be translated by a certified translator of the Polish language.

The residence permit for the family members is issued within 6 months.

See also