Skip to main content
Living in Europe, Working in EuropeEntry conditions/visasPoland

Registration of EU citizens and family members

EU citizens of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden.

Also the citizens of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland are subject to the same immigration law as the EU nationals.

If you plan to stay longer than 3 months you are obliged to register their stay in the Voivodeship Office (Urząd Wojewódzki) of the region (voivodship) where you intend to reside at latest on the next day following the 3 months.

The registration procedure is free-of-charge. You need to submit the following documents:

  • an application form,
  • ID or passport,
  • 4 photos,
  • in case of employment or scholarship - employment contract / scholarship agreement
  • in case of study including PhD education: a confirmation from the higher education institution, health insurance confirmation, and proof of having sufficient financial resources for the stay.


  • all the submitted documents have to be in Polish so you may need to have certain documents translated by a certified translator,
  • to make copies of some of the submitted documents as the original ones will only serve for inspection.

The document confirming the registration is a plastic card valid for an indefinite period.

Family members - non EU citizens

Family members of the EU citizens in the scope of the immigration procedures are the following persons if they enter with or join the EU citizen in Poland:

  • spouses of the EU citizens,
  • children of up to 21 years of age being financially dependent, including spouse's children,
  • parents being financially dependent, including spouse's parents

For stays longer than 3 months, family members have to apply for a residence permit for a family member at latest on the next day following the 3 months.

The residence permit is issued by the Voivodeship Office competent for the place of residence and the procedure is free-of-chargeNote that you need first to make an appointment for the residence card application which may require some waiting time.

The following documents are required:

  • an application form,
  • the registration confirmation of the EU citizen,
  • travel document (passport),
  • 4 photographs
  • docucments confirming family ties: marriage certificates, children's birth certificates and other documents confirming that they are financially dependent.

    The residence permit for the family members is issued within 6 months and is valid for 5 years.