Skip to main content
Working in EuropeTaxation/salariesPoland



Polish taxation system consists of several types of taxes. As the legislator imposes fines on tax evasion, it is essential to remember about making payments and submitting tax declarations within due time.

Below you will find a list of those Polish taxes which are the most relevant to researchers.


In general terms, everyone working in Poland (usually it means a stay of at least 183 days of the calendar year) is a taxpayer here and is liable on their globally-earned income regardless of the place from where remuneration is received. In case of temporary residence, only the income coming from the Polish sources, irrespective of where it is received, is subject to taxation in Poland. The detailed regulation is included in international agreements for the avoidance of double taxation signed by Poland with over 80 countries.

Depending on the type of your employment contract, your income can be subject to one of the following forms of taxation:

1. by general terms (regular employment contract) - the taxpayer pays a tax on the actual income earned in accordance with the progressive tax scale which includes the following income thresholds:

  • up to PLN 30 000 annually - tax-free income,
  • up to 120 000 PLN annually - 12 % tax
  • above 120 000 PLN annually - 32 % tax

2. by lump sum - in case of other forms of employment (based on civil law contracts) 19% of revenue is taxed



Each year between February and April 30th, all employees who worked in Poland in the previous year, have to submit their annual Personal Income Tax declarations (PIT) to the fiscal authorities. There are various PIT forms marked with different numbers but the most common form is PIT-37 for employees not running their own business. 

In order to submit your tax declaration, first before end of February your employer has to provide you with the PIT-11 form which includes information on paid taxes.

The annual tax declaration can be submitted to the tax authorities in four main ways:

  • on-line via the e-pit official government system,
  • on-line using the e-declaration tool of the Ministry of Finance,
  • on paper submitted in person to the relevant Tax Office competent for your place of residence (address),
  • if you are currently outside of Poland, you can also file your tax declaration to a Polish consulate.

The on-line systems are now available both in Polish and English.

Note: parents who submit their PIT declarations in Poland are entitled to certain tax return based on the number of raised children. Read more

See how to submit your PIT for 2021